The signs and symptoms of pornography and masturbation addiction can be subtle, but they are also very real.
If you notice that you’re using porn and/or masturbating more than you would like, or if it’s starting to interfere with your daily life, it’s time to look at yourself.
Most common signs of Pornography Addiction:
1-You use porn/masturbation as a coping mechanism for stress:
Porn becomes your salvation method to feel relieved. When it’s not accessible at the time you want, you feel anxious, depressed, and/or empty, also feel restless when you can’t access pornography or masturbate, even if you have other things that need to be done.
2- You feel guilty about using porn/masturbation.
You feel guilty because of watching pornography (either because of health, religion, or relationship) reasons and you just can’t stop.
3- Your relationships with your friends and family have started to suffer because of your habits.
You prefer spending time alone in your room watching pornography & masturbating rather than socializing and spending time with your family or friends
-You spend more time looking at porn than doing other things in your life, like going to work or spending time with friends and family members.
4- You prefer masturbating over porn rather than having sex with your partner.
You’re noticing a lower physical affection and non-sexual touch. If you have sex, it is due to the fact your partner is the one starting up it. You are having trouble becoming sexually aroused (for example, attaining an erection or having an orgasm).
Furthermore, your partner needs increasing stimulation to get you turned on and release. you have developed a strong interest in sexual practices that appear a bit extreme. And usually, No matter what, you never feel completely satisfied after sex!
5- Your brain keeps craving rougher or “extreme” content!:
“The more sugar you eat, the more sugar you crave. The more porn you consume, the more porn you crave.”
You’re noticing that the regular videos you used to watch don’t satisfy you anymore, you feel you need harder “more extreme” stuff to maintain an erection .
Red flags mean you need to stop ASAP!
- Looking at pornography and masturbating becomes the most important thing in your life.
- The amount of time you spend looking at pornography and masturbating interferes with your ability to get work done or do well in school.
- You find yourself thinking about pornography and masturbation when you’re trying to concentrate on something else.
- You feel restless when you can’t access pornography or masturbate, even if you have other things that need to be done.
- Financial problems: If you find that you can’t stop using pornography even after you’ve run out of money to pay for it. This can lead to financial problems, including repossessions, missed payments, or credit card debt.
- Relationship problems: If you struggle with intimacy in your relationships because you’re unable to be completely present with the person you’re with due to your preoccupation with porn consumption or masturbation.
It’s possible for addicts, even compulsive ones, to prevent the cycle if it’s in the early stages or even into extreme ritualistic behaviors.
If you’ve got recognized yourself in any of these signs, or suspect a loved one is suffering from pornography
addiction, please contact us today. We can come up with the methods needed to overcome your addiction. Please take the initiative to get your life back on track.
Resources & Further Readings: 1- Fulbright, Yvonne K. (2011). 8 Signs Your Partner is Addicted to Porn. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/8-signs-your-partner-is-a_b_106566 2- Northpoint Washington. (2017). 11 Signs You May Be Addicted to Porn. https://www.northpointwashington.com/blog/11-signs-may-addicted-porn/ 3- Nordic Studies On Alcohol And Drugs. (2016). Amphetamine Use And Sexual Practices. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.2478/nsad-2013-0035